Richardson Executive Search
Assistant Controller Acheson, Alberta
We have an excellent opportunity for an Assistant Controller to join a growing and fast paced building products company located in Acheson, Alberta. Reporting into the Controller, this role will be responsible for all accounting and financial management functions and engage with all parts of the business such as sales and operations. The ideal candidate will be a people person and strong communicator, that is confident, motivated to take on additional responsibilities, and looking for an organization to grow their career. Experience in a manufacturing setting would be an asset with exposure to inventory management, bill of materials, costing, trends and analysis.
Oldcastle APG, a CRH company, is a leading global supplier of building and landscaping products. Its product portfolio includes hardscapes and masonry, packaged cement mixes, lawn and garden materials, and composite decking sold through a variety of channels for residential and commercial use. Oldcastle APG is the leading producer of hardscapes in North America and Europe and the innovator behind many of the industry’s well-known brands: Belgard hardscapes, Echelon masonry, Sakrete bagged dry mixes, and MoistureShield composite decking. With over 260 operating locations and approximately 8,500 employees, Oldcastle APG operates across 7 countries in the U.S., Canada, and Europe.
For more information, please visit their website at: https://www.oldcastleapg.com/careers/.
- Provide coverage for Controller during periods of absences including but not limited to the preparation of month end, approval of Payroll and cheque run and oversee Finance department staff in a supervisory capacity.
- Responsible for all other financial reporting to various companies and agencies (CRA, Insurance, Stats Can, WCB, etc.).
- Review and analysis of raw material and Finished Goods inventory.
- Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with established legal regulatory and company policies and procedures.
- Provide advice and guidance on all accounting matters including financial systems, record keeping, analysis, and reporting.
- Analyzes operating budgets and financial results (including working closely with sites/plants) to identify trends and activities driving those results and makes recommendations on potential changes, both operational and financial in nature, to improve performance.
- Prepares and assists in presentation of periodic financial and operational reports, financial “what if” scenarios, strategic plans/initiatives, cash flow projections and ad hoc reports to senior management.
- Establishes KPIs and creates reporting to measure progress and drive transparency around operational improvement initiatives.
- Works with Accounting to ensure month end accuracy (Journal Entries) and overall SOX compliance.
- Preparation of monthly cost analysis and standard cost variance reporting.
- Assist Controller in managing the accounting operations including the review of journal entries, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, fixed asset, accruals and statutory reporting so as to achieve the annual budget goals.
- Assist Controller in preparation of monthly reporting package.
- Assist Controller with the annual budgeting and forecasting process.
- Assist Controller in setting the priorities within the Finance department.
- Assist with audits as needed.
- Assistance, where required, in providing information and calculations to assist operations in production planning.
- Supports all aspects of internal and external audits.
- Other duties and responsibilities related to the nature of the job may be assigned on a temporary or permanent basis as needed.
- University degree in accounting, finance, or the equivalent.
- CPA Designation.
- 3-5 years of financial analysis experience in a manufacturing setting.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
- Demonstrates experience with financial forecasting, and financial statement preparation.
- Able to perform moderate to complex account reconciliations.
- Must possess a high level of moral judgment for handling confidential information and monetary transactions.
- Strong diplomatic, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Excellent teamwork and team building skills.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office productivity suite (particularly with Microsoft Excel i.e., gantt charts).
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Sandy Jacobson | T: 780.944.1327 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org | www.richardsonsearch.ca