Richardson Executive Search
Assistant Operations Manager Prince Rupert, BC
The City of Prince Rupert is looking to attract an energetic leader to join their Management Team as an
Assistant Operations Manager. There are potentially additional openings for this position as they grow
their team. This position will oversee team(s) under either Utilities, Wastewater and/or Landfill. Reporting
to the Operations Manager, the type of person we are looking for should be self-motivated, results
orientated, an excellent communicator, and have a demonstrated track record of leading people and
projects related to the construction, operation and maintenance of municipal infrastructure.
Established in 1910, Prince Rupert is located in an area rich with history dating back thousands of years.
What’s now called Prince Rupert harbour had long been an intersection of trade and commerce for First
Nations people dating back to time immemorial. Now with a population of approximately 14,000 people,
our port has extended that tradition of trade and commerce to a global scale. With beautiful rugged
landscapes, rare wildlife and world class fishing you won’t experience anywhere else. Prince Rupert is a
City surrounded by islands, inlets, channels, mountains, waterfalls and forest. To the North is Grizzly Bear
Sanctuary and habitat, to the south are traces of the Salmon-canning history, and to the West Humpback
Whales swim in fish-filled waters offshore.
For more information, please visit their website at: http://www.princerupert.ca
This position is part of a team that provide leadership and manage the operations of public works
construction and maintenance functions. This role will provide the greatest satisfaction to a detailoriented individual who thrives in a multi-faceted environment, understands the complexities of Local
Government and enjoys coaching, development and leading staff to reach their full potential.
As this is a visible position and requires considerable contact with the public, the successful candidate
must always be someone with demonstrated sound judgement and a high degree of tactfulness and
diplomacy in dealing with customer complaints and difficult situations.
• Post-secondary diploma in Civil Engineering Technology (CET), or Environmental Engineering
Technology (EET) plus 2 years prior job-related experience or a combination of training and
experience in civil works.
• Valid Water and Wastewater EOCP certification or Solid Waste Association of North America
(SWANA) certification as a Manager of Landfill Operations (MOLO) or similar Landfill Supervision
• Civil construction experience or a relevant Trade that demonstrates mechanical aptitude.
• Must have a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and the ability to obtain a RCMP Criminal Record
Search including a Vulnerable Sector Check. This position is required to participate in rotational
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• Experience related to Utilities, Sanitation, Landfill, Trades, Fleet, Roads or Parks.
• Intermediate computer skills.
• Ability to effectively represent the interest of the municipality.
• An ability to implement innovative techniques on the jobsite while ensuring operations are safe,
efficient and cost effective.
• Proven leadership and supervisory experience in a unionized environment.
• Demonstrated knowledge in project management, construction, inspection of infrastructure and
capital works projects along with sound fiscal responsibility.
• A strong management skill set to provide ongoing supervision and guidance to foster a team
environment through coaching, evaluating and disciplining as required.
• Considerable knowledge of the applicable occupational hazards, safety regulations and safe
• Continuing up-to-date knowledge, personal education, and development in aspects of municipal
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain respectful working relationships
with internal and external contacts under circumstances that are considerably complex and time
SALARY AND BENEFITS
This fulltime exempt position offers a competitive salary, commensurate with qualifications and
experience, supplemented by a comprehensive benefit package. This is a challenging yet rewarding
position and we offer ongoing personal and professional development opportunities.
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT
JESSE JACOBSON | T: 587.453.4242 | E: email@example.com | www.richardsonsearch.ca