Richardson Executive Search
Chief Administration Officer (CAO) Vegreville, AB
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) to join the vibrant Town of Vegreville. The CAO is responsible for the overall general management and administrative leadership of Town operations in accordance with the bylaws, policies and plans approved by Town Council. The CAO directs, controls, coordinates, mentors and coaches the activities of the various Town departments. Working with the senior management team, the CAO ensures policies and programs of the Town are implemented and provides proactive advice to Council about operations and affairs of the Town on a regular basis.
The CAO is a respected member of an effective working team, dedicated to maintaining and improving the community and as such, serves the public with courtesy and respect. As an employee, this person shall establish and maintain a good working relationship with management and staff in all departments, Town Council, and the public. Sound judgment and discretion are key qualities the successful candidate will need to have.
You can find the Town of Vegreville just 1-hour east of Edmonton, surrounded by farmland and small communities. Part of the County of Minburn, Vegreville has 5,700 residents and offers all the amenities large cities have such as a shopping centers, accommodations, recreation facilities (arena, pool, tennis courts, fair grounds, etc.), local restaurants and hosts various annual events. This community has many businesses and industries such as Agriculture, Hemp & Cannabis, Scientific & Technical, as well as Oil and Gas Manufacturing.
To learn more, visit their website at: https://www.vegreville.com/ or https://choosevegreville.com/
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Direct, lead and provide vision to the Municipal Sustainability Planning process ensuring the five pillars (Governance, Culture, Social, Economic, and Environment) are incorporated within the Towns functional service delivery requirements.
- Enforce or cause to be enforced, all bylaws and resolutions of the Town.
- Review the Towns organizational and departmental structure regularly and recommend to Council changes to improve operating effectiveness and efficiency.
- Communicate information and report to Council required to make effective policy decisions.
- Ensure Town compliance to legislation and conduct due diligence regarding policies, procedures and operations.
- Cause the development of budget preparation and financial reporting to Town Council of the Towns revenues and expenditures and balance sheet performance.
- Establish, promote and maintain comprehensive personnel policies and programs covering the selection, compensation, development, retention, appraisal and placement of Town employees within established personnel policies. Recommend to Council new positions, salary adjustments, fringe benefits and working conditions.
- Supervise, hire, promote, discipline, demote, suspend, terminate, transfer and direct all senior management staff and staff reporting directly to the CAO, within appropriate management practices and legislation.
- Accountable for the development, implementation and monitoring of performance standards for staff. Complete performance reviews on staff directly reporting to the CAO and ensure performance appraisals are conducted for all staff on an annual basis.
- Annually conduct program and service delivery evaluations to promote continuous improvement by staff, contractors and agencies.
- Provide the efficient and most cost-effective procurement of goods and services required by the Town through established policies.
- Monitor the prompt handling of all requests, enquiries and complaints by residents of the Town, including the establishment of Town policies and procedures for dealing with complaints.
- Undertake the responsibility to stay informed and updated about governmental and community affairs and ensure the Council and Town employees are made aware of significant trends and best practices.
- Direct the execution of all documents, agreements or contracts approved by Council.
- Undertake the responsibility to be kept fully informed of transactions of all Boards and Commissions authorized by Council.
- Meet regularly with the senior management team to keep abreast of operations, facilitate two-way information exchange and provide input for operational critique and improvement.
- Attend, or is represented by the CAO designee, all meetings of Council, Special Task Forces, Committees, Boards, and Commissions appointed by Council, and assist in the decision-making process by providing advice, guidance and consultation, as required.
- Liaise with other local governments, Provincial and Federal, as required and promote regional cooperation with the Towns neighbors.
- Develop a positive and proactive Customer Service philosophy throughout the organization. Respond to public inquiries and complaints according to approved procedures.
- Monitor and update procedures manuals for all direct reports.
- Act as Director of Disaster Services.
- Perform any other duties as may be required by Council.
- A college diploma or university degree in public administration or a related field. A Certificate in Local Government Administration (CLGM) or a professional designation in a related discipline desirable.
- At least five to eight (5-8) years of related senior management experience, preferably in a Local Government setting.
- Successful experience in a CAO or senior management capacity.
- Successful department head experience in at least one of the key municipal service functions.
- Experience in a multi-dimensional service organization with proven ability to provide leadership, adapt and integrate complex planning and policy initiatives.
- A positive record of working effectively with elected officials, volunteer boards and committees and public participation processes and policy and service delivery.
- Proven experience in strategic planning, organization development and in achieving results in building team and labour relations.
- Experience in overseeing or project management of capital works and infrastructure improvement programs.
- Application of common office computer programs.
The Town of Vegreville offers a comprehensive benefit package including a defined benefit pension plan. The successful applicant will be required to obtain, and/or maintain, a satisfactory police information check.
November 30, 2021
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT
Sandy Jacobson | T: 780.944.1327 | E: email@example.com | www.richardsonsearch.ca