Richardson Executive Search
Chief Financial Officer Calgary, AB
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
We have an excellent opportunity for a dynamic, innovative and strategic Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to join a leading fast-paced and evolving Real Estate/Hospitality company organization.
The successful candidate will have extremely strong technical financial skills, can mentor and manage a team, can think strategically, have oversight of finances across all business operations and can balance risk assessment and mitigation with innovation and entrepreneurial decision making. Reporting into the CEO, the CFO will be an indispensable member of the senior management team.
The CFO will have an opportunity to influence a broad range of decisions at the highest level, including investment decisions, business planning, and budget setting and will provide visionary, strategic leadership for the organization, and direct the organization’s long-term financial sustainability. This individual will be an ambassador for the company and its investors and a trusted leader within the organization and community.
This role is based in Calgary, Alberta with regular travels to NWT.
- The Chief Financial Officer will have primary responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related activities including the development of financial and operational strategies and process.
- Lead Board reporting on all Financial and Audit matters
- Co-lead, in partnership with the CEO and COO, the annual budgeting and planning cycle
- Collaborate and work closely with the CEO, COO and multiple internal stakeholders such as the Head of Real Estate, Head of Food and Beverage, Corporate Secretary, Board Members, Joint Venture Board Members, Investors and external entities.
- Serve as a strategic business partner within the senior management team to shape the business plan, the operational structure of the business, and the development of financial management functions.
- Impact the financial results of the business in a meaningful way by assisting the company in making effective decisions based on improved transparency, shortening cycle time through process improvement and determination, and identifying ways to improve how the company manages cash flow, finances its operations, allocates capital, and manages its financial resources.
- Provides leadership in the development for the continuous evaluation of short and long-term strategic financial objectives.
- Provide advice and recommendations to strategically enhance financial performance and business opportunities.
- Guides, supports, and oversees the accounting team.
- Ensure the financial department is following accounting best practices and adhering to legal requirements.
- Bachelor’s Degree in an Accounting, Business or Finance related discipline and/or MBA preferred.
- Chartered Professional Accountant Designation, CA preferred.
- 5+ years of diverse, senior leadership experience working within many industries.5+ years of experience at the Controller and/or Chief Financial Officer level.
- Excellent presentation and strong influencing skills.
- Previous experience in a high-growth, entrepreneurial, collaborative business would be ideal to provide exposure to best practices in a well-regarded and established company and direct experience in a more hands-on environment.
- Experience in Mergers and Acquisitions would be an asset.
- Effective skills in strategic planning, departmental management, and business analysis.
- Proven ability to effectively manage time, prioritize work and multi-task across many assignments.
- Ability to communicate ideas, project, and process concepts, both orally and in writing, with ease and clarity.
- Ability to deal with conflicting issues, roadblocks, dependencies and change demonstrating superior negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong sense of personal and business integrity and commitment to ethical business behavior.
- High level of integrity with respect to confidentiality.
- Ability to quickly establish and maintain cooperative and productive working relationships at all levels of the organization and with relevant external stakeholders.
- Leads others to build an organization that maximizes performance.
- Proven leadership and management skills with ability to mentor, coach, motivate, and develop individuals to achieve individual and department goals.
- Ability to mediate and solve problems of varying complexities and successfully allocate responsibility, where necessary.
- Ability to plan, set deadlines, delegate, oversee and evaluate work towards achievement of key objectives.
- Solid political acumen with the ability to proactively recognize and anticipate issues that could have a significant impact on the community and organization.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and be discrete in relation to sensitive matters.
- Well-developed project planning and project management skills, and the ability to balance multiple projects concurrently thorough a commitment to ‘do what it takes’ to support the organization.
- Community awareness of current trends/issues locally, regionally, provincially, and federally.
- Facilitation skills with the ability to effectively include stakeholders in the process of information sharing, planning and decision making.
- Strong communication skills to achieve buy-in and agreement.
- Ability to deliver concise communication skills in both verbal and written presentations, briefings, direct conversations, customer correspondence, etc.
- Ability to navigate well throughout organization; analyze financial, operational, and business environment information.
- Commitment to internal and external customer service and process innovation, constantly seeking and implementing improvement opportunities.
- Approachable demeanor with an appropriate sense of humor to foster a positive team morale.
- Sound interpersonal skills with the ability to build rapport and trust with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Strong initiative, proactive planning, and time management skills and ability to respond to often heavy and shifting workload(s).
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Sandy Jacobson | T: 780.944.1327 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org | www.richardsonsearch.ca