Richardson Executive Search
Confidential- VP of Finance and Risk Calgary, Alberta
VP, Finance and Risk
Our client, a growing credit union is looking for a VP of Finance and Risk to join its team and assist with the service delivery. The role is responsible for developing and overseeing the execution of financial strategies and ensuring internal controls are in place to manage assets and revenues. The VP, Finance and Risk will provide overall direction, control and planning for implementation of the ERM framework in all business areas and will provide reasonable assurance to the Executive Leadership team and the Board of Directors. This position will ensure that effective policies and procedures are in place, and that the credit union is in compliance with sound business practice, legislation, regulations and risk requirements. A proactive, hands on leader who can assist the organization to achieve sound decision-making related to investments and deployment of capital while maintaining the proper balance between risk and reward.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Key functional advisor to the CEO for all areas of finance, including leading the overall annual budget and long and short-term business planning process;
- Evaluates effectiveness of strategies in the achievement of the organization’s goals and objectives; prepares reports documenting variances to overall financial plan and the approved budget;
- Monitors treasury strategy and policies, including such elements as liquidity, investments and lending, asset-liability management, interest rate exchange, and foreign exchange;
- Develops a long-range capital plan with the CEO and other senior executives designed to maximize business success. Defines and maintains financial frameworks and standards for operating and capital allocation;
- Collaborates with the CEO and ELT in the development of credit policies, thresholds, and decision-making protocols related to the approval of credit;
- Manages the accounting operations function for the organization ensuring the integrity and appropriateness of accounting systems and processes with appropriate oversight to minimize risk;
- Ensures the completion of internal and external audits, with a strong monitoring system in place to satisfy the regulator in the requirement for transparency;
- Prepares and presents financial reports for the Board of Directors and Board Audit Finance Committee meetings, as well as at the Annual General Meeting;
- In compliance with accounting legislation, it completes and maintains all regulatory and legislative reporting on time. Reporting includes, but is not limited to, IFRS, FINTRAC, CUDGC, and Alberta Finance;
- Maintains corporate financial policies, controls, procedures and standards to ensure adequate expense control and revenue collection;
- Monitors all expenditures and ensures effective cost control measures are maintained;
- Approves capital expenditures within approved budget parameters;
- Develops and maintains tools to provide financial and operational information and makes recommendations based on that information regarding strategy and operations;
- Identifies, analyzes and reports on all trends;
- Establishes and maintains regular contact with regulatory agencies and bodies; and
- Regularly reviews effectiveness of accounting and cash management systems and ensures systems are revised, when necessary, to maintain integrity.
- Manages enterprise risk management. Understands and mitigates the key elements of the company’s risk profile. Constructs, monitors and reports on reliable control systems;
- Oversees and coordinates all aspects of corporate security, including risks related to fraud, money laundering, robbery, extortion and theft ensuring adequate security/fraud prevention services are provided;
- Develops fraud management strategy policies and process for prevention and detection of fraud;
- Oversees a compliance area responsible for the implementation of policies and procedures and the coordination of all compliance activities ensuring timely and effective reporting;
- Reports risk issues to the Risk Committee, Audit Finance Committee and Board of Directors;
- Creates and maintains corporate disaster recovery and business continuity plans. Liaises with IT leader to ensure plans in these areas of the business are consistent with the overall corporate disaster recovery and business continuity plan for the organization; and
- Acts as the organization’s Privacy Officer, recommending and responding to concerns brought forward to SPARK as they relate to privacy breaches.
- Minimum professional designation of a CGA, CMA or CA
- Minimum 10 years of progressive work experience with 4-6 years in a similar role within a financial services institution.
- Experience in a senior financial-management role partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of financial management strategies;
- Demonstrated success in leading a multidisciplinary team, with a commitment to deliver quality results;Extensive experience in budget development and management, business accounting theory and practice, treasury, taxation, forecasting and financial controls;
- Demonstrated ability to apply sound judgment regarding financial decision-making and identifying opportunities to maximize the benefit to the organization;
- Experience with enterprise risk management;
- Experience working with information technology staff to manage finance and accounting software packages;
- Must be a forward thinker, a visible leader, a good decision maker and a change management agent along with being a relationship builder with both clients and staff;Strong analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent strategic thinking skills;
- Able to drive performance from all areas within the company;
- Strong leadership and motivational skills with the ability to identify and develop talent within the business;
- Excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills.
To find out more about the amazing opportunity please email or call email@example.com or Joleen.firstname.lastname@example.org 403-718-5098. We thank all applicants for their interest however only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview