Richardson Executive Search
Economic Development Officer Chestermere, Alberta
We have an excellent opportunity for an Economic Development Officer to join the City of Chestermere, AB. This is a progressive municipality that is growing and transforming rapidly and prides itself on innovation and continual improvement. Reporting to the Economic Development Manager, the Economic Development Officer will be responsible for supporting the Manager of Economic Development in all areas of work carried out in economic development, and work with the Communications staff to achieve the objectives of the economic development strategy and related work plans. The Economic Development Officer may have to coordinate the office when the Manager of Economic Development is away from his office.
The City of Chestermere is located east of Calgary in the province of Alberta, within Rocky View County. With a population of approximately 20,732, and its large park and entertainment zone which includes a golf club, a large recreation center, and facilities for boating, Chestermere provides an inviting lifestyle in a beautiful setting that has made the City of Chestermere a welcoming and growing place in which to live, work and play.
For more information visit their website at: www.chestermere.ca.
Marketing and awareness building Main activities
- Gather relevant data for posting on the business and investment
- Ensure the business and investment package is kept up to date in accordance with the tactics determined in the economic development plan.
- Forward the investment package to leads, suspects and prospects.
- Coordinate social media initiatives with comms team
- With the communications function, coordinate all collateral materials as required in the Economic Development Plan.
- Actively coordinate all economic development special events as outlined in the Economic Development Plan.
- Coordinate all marketing initiatives that relate to the Economic Development Plan.
- As required, represent the City of Chestermere at trade shows, conferences, networking events, industry events and private meetings as outlined in the marketing plan.
Research and development Main activities (tasks):
- Assist the Manager of Economic development in gathering market intelligence to prepare the economic development strategy, plan, marketing plans, etc., including but not limited to the preparation of sector analyses, sector specific strategies, etc.
- Gather key economic data for inclusion in the appropriate awareness and collateral materials.
- Prepare economic briefs on a quarterly basis for the Mayor and Council information.
Local business support Main activities (tasks):
- Respond to business inquiries that are generated from marketing initiatives
- Prepare and coordinate all activities for Small Business Week and other small business events with Comms team.
- Working knowledge of economic development processes, business, and marketing.
- Degree in business, marketing, communications, economic development, or related field.
- Experience in municipal government and involvement in the planning / development process is considered an asset.
- Strong computer literacy including knowledge of online marketing, and social media an asset.
- Strategic, analytical and creative thinking skills as a member of the Strategic Advisory Group, e.g., analytical skills with the ability to solve problems, make decisions, negotiate and deal effectively with people in difficult situations.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form, e.g., maintain ongoing communication to anticipate and prevent potential problems, develop and maintain positive and effective working relationships with Council, staff, the public and other stakeholders.
- Ability to use excellent judgment in respecting confidentiality.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively as part of a team and as well as independently.
- Ability to maintain internal and external relationships with other departments, personnel, contractors, and the general public.
- Comfortable in making presentation to senior executives (private sector).
- Skilled advocate, balancing the needs of business owners with the needs of the City.
- Business acumen, including budget management skills, grant or contract management skills and the ability to make effective decisions that are well-informed and that reflect the input gathered from stakeholders.
- Research and analytical skills, with ability to undertake primary and secondary research.
- Ability to work flexible hours, which may include evenings and weekends.
- Strong work ethic and highly motivated, e.g., ability to work in a fast-paced environment and respond to action requests and competing deadlines in a timely matter.
- Proficiency with MS Office, e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
SANDY JACOBSON | T: 780.944.1327 | E: email@example.com | www.richardsonsearch.ca