Richardson Executive Search
Manager of Finance and Control Vermilion, Alberta
Manager of Finance and Control- Vermilion Credit Union
We have an opening for a dynamic credit union professional looking for a role with a trusted financial institute! Vermilion Credit Union is seeking a Manager of Finance and Control to join their growing team. The primary function of this role is to manage the accounting and financial procedures of the company while possessing the immediate responsibility of various functions such as accounting practices, fiscal record maintenance, and the ability to analyze and prepare financial reports.
This role has the specific responsibility of developing and coordinating necessary accounting and statistical data for all functional areas. These include treasury, tax, purchasing, general and property accounting, and budgetary controls. This role requires the ability to analyze financial information and prepare financial reports by compiling information and preparing profit and loss procedures while utilizing appropriate accounting control procedures. The Manger of Finance and Control position is currently the Anti-Money Laundering Compliance Officer and ensures FINTRAC guidelines are followed with policies and procedures put in place.
The Manager of Finance and Control reports to the CEO and Board of Directors on operating results in terms of costs, budgets, policy of operation, trends, and increased profit opportunities. This role supervises, develops, and provides guidance to accounting employees involved in accounting functions, financial reporting, and risk management. Through leadership and guidance, the individual in this role creates a work environment that promotes professionalism, team achievement, and staff development.
About the Company
Vermilion Credit Union is a trusted financial institute established in 1943 as Vermilion Savings and Credit Union Ltd, located in Vermilion, Alberta.
Vermilion is a vibrant town located in the County of Vermilion River in central Alberta. With its agricultural background and rich history, the community hosts various cultural events and festivals including the Vermilion Fair. Promoting the town’s sustainable growth, their “New Ideas for Living” slogan displays their strong community feel and progressive outlook.
Vermilion Credit Union is a member-owned cooperative driven by our mission to provide a full range of financial services that supports our members and communities in building their financial security.
Guided by our values of cooperative principles we strive to be the financial institution of choice and a recognized leader in our community. We are owned by members and driven by members. Through continued innovation we strive to support our members, our community, and our employees through business in a fair and equitable manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the accounting, financial statements, and reports generated to ensure accuracy and that effective controls are maintained.
- Oversee preparation of financial statement and reports, accounting, and statistical data.
- Lead in the development of annual operating and capital budgets along with the financial forecasts for the credit union.
- Monitor performance in relation to budgets.
- Assist the CEO and Board of Directors with the preparation of the business plan and annual budget.
- Manage and monitor investments and borrowings.
- Implement investment proposals and maintain liquidity levels.
- Manage, monitor, and ensure matching of assets and liabilities.
- Supervise the internal audit program by review of accounting and audit trails along with the confirmation of accounts.
- Inspect operations to ascertain the extent of compliance with established policies, plans and procedures.
- Oversee investigation for the prevention of fraud.
- Senior contact for Alberta Central Internal Auditors and the credit union’s external auditors.
Anti-Money Laundering Compliance Officer
- Act as the compliance person for any anti-money laundering questions or concerns for Vermilion Credit Union.
- Ensure staff follows all anti-money laundering policies and procedures.
- Complete the annual or as needed AML training.
- Minimum: Accounting Diploma or Bachelor of Commerce (or equivalent), 4th or 5th level accounting in CMA or CGA Program.
- Preferred: CPA and Bachelor of Commerce and CUIC Management Studies Program
- Previous credit union experience desired. Previous other financial institution experience may apply for position with academics listed above only.
- Minimum 1 year On the Job experience: will be dependent on the degree of credit union experience and academics.
To find out more and to receive the full job description for this amazing opportunity please email Daryl Henry (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Joleen Droste (Joleen.email@example.com) with “Manager of Finance and Control” as the subject line. Feel free to reach out to us with any questions about the role by phone as well at 403-718-5098. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.