Richardson Executive Search
Secretary-Treasurer (CFO) Edmonton, AB
We have an excellent opportunity for a designated CPA to join a local Edmonton School as their Secretary-Treasurer (CFO). Reporting to the Superintendent of Schools, the Secretary-Treasurer has supervisory oversight for the areas of finance, facilities, transportation, technology, and human resources as well as payroll and the employee benefits program. They will oversee the annual budget which is approximately $3.5 million (2020 2021). In addition, the Secretary-Treasurer serves as Corporate Secretary for the Board.
This is a great opportunity for a Finance professional who wants to make a difference in their community and support the success of teachers and children. This position reports directly to the Superintendent and or the Board as the Board may from time to time direct. This opportunity has time off during the summer but is busier throughout the curriculum calendar year from September through June.
Suzuki Charter School is a rapidly growing public charter school, enrolling approximately 400 students in grades K-8 and with a specific focus on music enriched learning. The school is governed by the Suzuki Charter School Board of Directors. The school employs a staff of fifty-five, comprised of teachers and support staff members; various services are also provided by several contracted service providers. The school is a dynamic organization dedicated to research, innovation and success and has an engaged faculty and stakeholder community.
Suzuki Charter School started in 1985 as a Kindergarten with eighteen young violinists and two enthusiastic teachers, working to incorporate Dr. Shinichi Suzukis method and philosophy of teaching young children to play a musical instrument in an academic school setting. Suzuki Charter School also creates a warm, supportive, learning environment for children. Working closely with parents to meet the needs of each student, the accomplished teachers help Suzuki Charter School children become confident, skilled, lifelong learners with positive attitudes toward learning.
For more information, please visit their website at https://www.suzukischool.ca/
The duties and responsibilities of the Secretary-Treasurer shall include:
- Administration of all SCSS business functions in a manner that is consistent with standard accounting procedures and legal and ethical requirements;
- Planning for and control of the expenditure of public funds to achieve SCSS goals;
- Care and control of SCSS assets;
- Provision of regular reports regarding the financial operations of the SCSS;
- Provision of advice on all financial and business matters and the development and recommendation of related policies and practices for consideration;
- Provision of assistance and advice with respect to contracts and labour relations issues and concerns;
- Proper tendering and contracting procedures;
- Recording and compiling of minutes for all regular and special meetings of the Board;
- Liaison with Alberta Education, local municipalities and other organizations or agencies as required;
- Carrying out of any other duties that the SecretaryTreasurer may be required to do, from time to time, as dictated by the School Act or by Board policy, and;
- Other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Superintendent. and or such other additional responsibilities as may be assigned by the Board
- Bachelors Degree in an accounting, business or finance related discipline
- Preference will be given to candidates who have an accounting designation (CPA, CMA, CGA, CA)
- 10+ years of experience at the Controller and/or Chief Financial Officer level.
- 5+ years of financial experience and management experience with the day-to-day financial operations of an organization.
- Successful senior level financial management experience, ideally in a school setting.
- Strong sense of personal and business integrity and commitment to ethical business behavior.
- High level of integrity with respect to confidentiality.
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT
Sandy Jacobson | T: 780.944.1327 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org | www.richardsonsearch.ca