Richardson Executive Search
Secretary-Treasurer (CFO) Edmonton, Alberta
We have an excellent opportunity for a designated CPA to join a local Edmonton Charter School as their Secretary-Treasurer (CFO). This is a great opportunity for a senior level financial professional who wants to make a difference in their community and support education, children and creative learning. This position reports directly into the Superintendent and will work closely with the Board and Committees. This is an amazing opportunity that offers flexibility. Some overtime is required during peak times or when monthly financials, Board Meetings or audited financial statements are required.
Reporting to the Superintendent of Schools, the Secretary-Treasurer has supervisory oversight for the areas of finance, facilities, transportation, technology, and human resources as well as payroll and the employee benefits program. They will oversee the annual budget which is approximately $3.5 million (2020–2021). In addition, the Secretary-Treasurer serves as Corporate Secretary for the Board.
Suzuki Charter School is a rapidly growing public charter school, enrolling approximately 400 students in grades K-9 and with a specific focus on music enriched learning. The school is governed by the Suzuki Charter School Board of Directors. The school employs a staff of fifty-five, comprised of teachers and support staff members; various services are also provided by several contracted service providers. The school is a dynamic organization dedicated to research, innovation and success and has an engaged faculty and stakeholder community.
Suzuki Charter School started in 1985 as a Kindergarten with eighteen young violinists and two enthusiastic teachers, working to incorporate Dr. Shinichi Suzuki’s method and philosophy of teaching young children to play a musical instrument in an academic school setting. Suzuki Charter School also creates a warm, supportive, learning environment for children. Working closely with parents to meet the needs of each student, the accomplished teachers help Suzuki Charter School children become confident, skilled, lifelong learners with positive attitudes toward learning.
For more information, please visit their website at https://www.suzukischool.ca/
The duties and responsibilities of the Secretary-Treasurer shall include:
- Administration of all Suzuki Charter School business functions in a manner that is consistent with standard accounting procedures and legal and ethical requirements;
- Planning for and control of the expenditure of public funds to achieve Suzuki Charter School goals;
- Care and control of Suzuki Charter School assets;
- Provision of regular reports regarding the financial operations of the Suzuki Charter School;
- Provision of advice on all financial and business matters and the development and recommendation of related policies and practices for consideration;
- Provision of assistance and advice with respect to contracts and labour relations issues and concerns;
- Proper tendering and contracting procedures;
- Recording and compiling of minutes for all regular and special meetings of the Board;
- Liaison with Alberta Education, local municipalities and other organizations or agencies as required;
- Carrying out of any other duties that the Secretary-Treasurer may be required to do, from time to time, as dictated by the School Act or by Board policy, and;
- Other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Superintendent, and or such other additional responsibilities as may be assigned by the Board.
- Bachelor’s Degree in an accounting, business or finance related discipline.
- CPA designation preferred.
- 5+ years of experience at the Controller and/or at a senior finance level.
- 5+ years of financial experience and management experience with the day-to-day financial operations of an organization ideally in a school and/or educational setting.
- Experience with Sage 50 software.
- Ability to act as a trusted financial advisor to the Superintendent and ensure the accuracy, timeliness, and completeness of all financial reporting information.
- Provide monthly reporting package for the Board of Directors and administration team including financial analysis of operations and accounting information.
- Manage the general ledger and ensure balance sheet accounts are reconciled monthly.
- Maintain and monitor accounting controls.
- Review and approve government correspondence and filings.
- Ability to work independently, identify issues and take corrective action.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work in a team environment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders and various government agencies.
- Strong sense of professional and ethical business behavior.
- High level of integrity with respect to confidentiality.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
SANDY JACOBSON | T: 780.944.1327 | E: email@example.com | www.richardsonsearch.ca