Richardson Executive Search
Senior Director of Business Development Edmonton, AB
We have an excellent opportunity for a Senior Director of Business Development to join a leading Alberta municipal association. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this position provides operational leadership, oversight and hands-on management to the Business Development team. This includes assisting with the development and operationalization of new revenue generating services and identifying strategic opportunities to expand business outcomes and relationships. It also provides strategic and tactical advice to the leadership team in the areas of sales and new service development, in accordance with approved strategic mandate and operational plans.
The successful candidate will provide input into the annual budget process including sales forecasts and will implement the sales plan to ensure business outcomes are achieved. The incumbent will foster positive and effective relations among various client groups, working closely with business directors, advocacy as well as service providers. This position will ensure positive and effective relations within the Alberta municipal sector relative to the AUMA and AMSC services and initiatives.
The Alberta Urban Municipalities Association represents urban municipalities including cities, towns, villages, summer villages and specialized municipalities and more than 85% of Albertans. It is a dynamic and evolving association, advocating the interests of members to the provincial and federal orders of government and other stakeholders.
The Alberta Municipal Services Corporation is a solutions-based company, successfully delivering innovative services to municipalities, municipally related organizations, and their employees for more than 50 years.
To learn more, visit their website at: http://www.auma.ca
- Responsible for leading the development of new business opportunities including innovation, exploration, business case development and implementation.
- Prepare and submit plans, budgets, progress reports and annual sales reports.
- Forecast sales targets and ensure they are met by the Client Development team.
- Define priorities, develop performance plans, metrics and processes to reach the department goals and initiatives.
- Work with the team to prospect for potential new clients, identify decision makers, and turn this into increased business.
- Using knowledge of the market and competitors, identify and develop unique selling propositions and differentiators.
- Ensure AMSC is well represented at key client and stakeholder events and that all services are highlighted.
- Work with marketing to ensure targeted tactical sales and marketing plans for existing and new services are implemented.
- Ensure responses to RFP processes are completed with excellence.
- Model success-oriented and accountable behaviours, consistent with the organizations culture, values and operating principles.
- Ensure that all branch activities are carried out in compliance with: the AMSC/AUMA strategic agenda, operating plan, and local, provincial and federal regulations and laws governing business operations.
- Oversee and endorse, subject to executive approval, Client Development related contractor/ supplier agreements, proposals and changes.
- Collaborates with other Senior Directors at the AUMA/AMSC to optimize opportunities for expanding business.
- Perform other duties as required.
- 10 years experience in progressive general management, sales, and business development.
- Post-secondary or Graduate degree in Business or related field.
- Project Management designation considered an asset.
- Drivers license and vehicle required for some travel.
SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
- Analytical skills for assessing sales performance and market share.
- The ability to build effective relationships with staff, vendors, and clients particularly in the municipal sector and municipally related organizations.
- Results driven and highly organized with the ability to manage multiple projects and events and diverse activities while displaying attention to detail and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent leadership skills with a strong ability to motivate, coach, and effectively manage team performance with a positive, get it done attitude.
- Ability to promote services to clients in a compelling and persuasive manner.
- Thrives on pressure and has a sense of urgency in completing initiatives.
- Effective business administration skills, with a clear understanding of their applicability in a project-oriented, member-driven, public-sector environment.
- Highly organized with keen understanding of who is the audience/market particularly with respect to business.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Sound judgement and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of municipal and non-profit organization is an asset.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Sandy Jacobson | T: 780.944.1327 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org | www.richardsonsearch.ca